Artist Rendering Care Of Zachary Schomberg
Catherine Bresner is the author of the chapbook The Merriam Webster Series and the artist book Everyday Eros (Mount Analogue 2017). Her poetry has appeared in The Offing, Heavy Feather Review, Gulf Coast, Poetry Northwest, Passages North, The Pinch and elsewhere. Her book, the empty season, won the Diode Edition Book Prize in 2017.
She graduated from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst in 2003 with a BA in English and a concentration in poetry. In 2011 she was awarded a merit-based scholarship to the Juniper Summer Writing Institute. In 2015, she earned her MFA from the University of Washington, Seattle.
She has worked for The Massachusetts Review, Pilot Books, The Seattle Review and was an intern and later a publicity assistant for Wave Books. Currently, she is the managing editor for BOAAT Press and the associate production editor for Kirkus Reviews.
Select Poetry from the empty season
Features, Interviews, & Reviews
- "Here Is Your Shopping List for Short Run Comix and Arts Festival 2018," Rich Smith, The Stranger, 2 November 2018
- #metoo, #stopkavanaugh, and Poetry: Catherine Bresner on Poetry Comics as Feminist Writing by Chelsea Grimmer, The Poetry Vlog
- "Eden Comes Easily to Mind: Nine Questions with Visual Poet Catherine Bresner" by Jason Teal, The Fanzine
- "The Wardrobe’s Best Dressed: the empty season by Catherine Bresner" edited by Tierney Bailey, The Sundress Blog
- "A Distrust of the Art Close Reading a Visual Poem and Two Poetry Comics" by Gabrielle Bates, Poetry Northwest
Awards & Nominations
- Diode Editions Book Contest, winner, 2017
- Joan Grayson Poetry Prize, winner, May 2015
- Poctaglio Poetry Contest, runner-up, judged by Teyhimba Jess, May 2014
- Nelson Bently Fellowship, winner, June 2014
- Milliman Scholarship, runner-up, June 2014
- Waddell Scholarship, winner, June 2014